Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Photography Studio Position

A family photography studio is looking for a new, awesome office assistant. Learn expert retouching skills while growing your design portfolio. Perfect first job for new grads in graphic design, illustration, photography, or with related creative degrees.

First, a word from our current, awesome office assistant:

"Hi! My name is Jane, and I have been the office assistant and photo retoucher at jookie, a portrait boutique, inc. (jookie) since August of 2013. I graduated from art school with a degree in illustration. During my time in school I was introduced to Photoshop and Illustrator to create digital illustrations. Although it wasn't my concentration, the digital courses I took in college have been indispensible for my job here at jookie.

Working at jookie ended up being the perfect first job for me outside of school for multiple reasons. In a sea of job listings in the creative field that required "3 years experience", jookie was one of the few positions I applied for that was well-suited for a recent college graduate. In these last 2.5 years I have learned so much. First and foremost, my skills in Photoshop have soared from using it daily while learning to retouch portraits and designing marketing pieces. I have gained a lot of experience setting up files and ordering from a variety of vendors. My skills as a designer (though not my forte) have grown considerably.

I've been introduced to other software programs and have gotten very comfortable using mac computers (I was a PC before). I've gained skills in time management through juggling multiple deadlines and maintaining the client workflow. And perhaps one of the best perks of working here is observing firsthand the inner workings of how a successful business runs. Before working at jookie, I only had a vague idea of concepts such as cost of sales and developing a marketing campaign.

These skills have already proven useful for me outside of the office where I spend my spare time working on my own business. After working here for 2.5+ years, I am leaving to pursue my Etch A Sketch art career full-time. I consider my time here on the job just as valuable (if not more!) than my college education. It's real-life experience in a creative, professional environment, and no class can offer you that."


If you've gotten this far folks, then here's the nitty-gritty below.

Please apply if:

you enjoy working with little kids (babies and toddlers) specifically.
you have incredibly strong attention to detail.
you are a positive thinker that does not make excuses.
"friendly" is one of the top five adjectives your friends use to describe you.
you have fantastic social skills to answer the phone and interact with clients.
you are good at taking notes as a part of your learning process.
(optional) you've taken the Clifton StrengthsFinder quiz and your top 5 strengths include any of these: achiever, learner, focus, input, intellection, strategic, responsibility, discipline, analytical or individualization.

This position is 3-4 days a week including Saturdays. Do not apply if you cannot work Saturdays. The position starts as a paid internship ($9-10 an hour) with the goal to become the office assistant upon assessment at the end of it (2-3 months). Then $11-13 an hour depending on skill level and efficiency. We'd also like to eventually train the office assistant to become an associate photographer. Compensation would rise commensurately with responsibilities.

How to apply:

Send your resume to looking_for_awesome@jookiekids.com along with a cover letter describing why you would be an awesome office assistant for jookie. (Resumes submitted without cover letters will not even be considered - nor ones with lots of typos or bad grammar.)
In the subject line of your email, include the word that is purposely misspelled in the text above. (Hint: it's not jookie, nitty-gritty, StrengthsFinder, or intellection.)

Absolutely no phone calls or walk-ins.

Thank you, and we look forward to meeting you!

No comments:

Post a Comment